Department of Chemistry
The department of chemistry had a humble beginning in 1978 when considering educational backwardness of the area in response to the clamour from general public for science course Pre degree course with Physics, Chemistry and Biology was started in our college with the introduction of Science at Pre –degree level. Sri PK Radhakrishnanan was the first to be the head of the department. Sri P.Moideen Kutty Charges the head of Department in June 1979, PV Raveendran joined the Department on 11-10-1979. The first batch of the students have appear for the university examination that year the college didn’t have the infrastructure to trail the students, so they had their practical classes at Government arts college Calicut. During the next academic year physics, chemistry and biology practical laboratories were set up in the present building . Sri. P mohammed Shafi joined the Department as faculty during June 1980.
Pre degree course with physics, chemistry and mathematics as optional subject was started during the year 1982 and Sri Mohammed joined the department on that time. Chemistry began to taught as a subject at degree level with the introduction of BSc Physics with Mathematics and Chemistry as subsidiary subjects. BSc course with chemistry as main subject was starts during the year 1999-2000. As per guidelines of the university Grant commission for vocationalisation of degree courses, food science and quality control was introduced as subsidiary subject for the course, mathematics be the compulsory subsidiary.
Dr. P Muhammed Shafi, Dr. C P Aravindakshan and Sri. A Mohammed headed the department during different periods. Shri V Krishnan served the Department from 1990 to 2001 and Smt. Annette Fernandes during 1992-93. Dr. Geetha Nambiar joined the Department in December 2001 in the vacancy of Krishnan. Dr. Muhammed retired from the service on 31-05-2005. and Sri Moideen kutty retired on 31-5-2008. Dr, Sreesha Sasi joined the institution in June 2006 and transferred to Manimalakunnu college in September 2009. Dr. Ramani K C worked from 30-10-2008 to 30-06-2009 and Smt. Usha M from 17-12-2010 t0 19-06-2012. Dr.Muneer C P worked from June 2009 to to June 2015 and in FIP from July 2010 to July 2013. Smt. Ummu Habeeba joined the department in June 2012 and Dr. Ajitha M T from June 2012 to January 2013. Mrs. Linta Mary Jose from February 2013 to June 2014. Ramlath K T joined in October 2014 and transferred in June 2019. Dr. Surendran Parmbadath joined in 2019 June and served up to 2020 September. Dr. Vanaja worked from October 2020 to November 2020. Dr. Ramya K Joined the department in November 2020 in the vacancy of Vanaja. Complementary subject food science and quality control changed in to physics in the acadenic year 2020-21
The department has been producing very good academic results. As part of the extension activities, the department conducts soil testing, water analysis, Open House programs etc.
To propagate scientific method among students to prepare them for a changing and challenging world and also to bring up a community of talented chemists with a great sense of responsibility towards mankind.
• To provide quality education and build up work skills in students through innovative teaching methods.
• To conduct versatile programs that provide opportunity to students in strengthening their leadership qualities.
• To ensure that students from weaker sections of the society get equal opportunities thereby minimizing social inequality.
• To take remedial measures for slow learners so as to bring them up in the academic achievements.
• To identify financially weak ones and support them through scholarship schemes.
• To provide wide career exposure to students so as to enable them to select the best.
• To conduct outreach programs and extension activities for the benefit of the local community.
• To help students solve their problems and to motivate them to become value oriented citizens, though tutorial system.