Govt. College, Malappuram was established in the year 1972 as the premier arts and science college in the government sector in Malappuram district. The college is affiliated to University of Calicut and offers 9 UG Courses and 6 PG courses. The strength of students is about 1600 and 120 employees are currently working in the college. So far, the institution has paved the way for higher education for thousands of youths who have been, in fact, the live presence in almost all walks of life in the district, the state, and the national levels. The huge number of students passed out from here employed in the Middle East and the gulf countries ensure their significance in the international level too. The College shifted to the present premises in 1986. The main building in which the college is now housed was previously the district civil station which had housed the district collector‘s office and various district offices of the Government of Kerala. For the accommodating more classrooms, library and lab facilities, apart from the main building, science block, PG block and Library block are constructed during different periods.