The vibrant Department of English deservingly ascended to a P.G. department with the introduction of M.A. English in the academic year 2012-13.Students who have completed the U.G. course can apply for M.A. in English Language & Literature through the Centralized Admission Process (CAP) of the University of Calicut. This two-year (four-semester) programme in Credit & Semester system offers a maximum credit of 80.The programme has a sanctioned strength of 24 seats with an intake of 12 students each academic year. The program aims to produce scholars who can analyze and interpret literary texts with sensitivity and nuance. The curriculum includes a range of courses covering diverse genres of English literature, critical theory, and research methodology. In addition, the Audit Courses (Ability Enhancement Course / AEC & Professional Competency Course / PCC) are newly incorporated into the curriculum with the earnest intent toreinforce the writing and translation skills of the students.
Link to Syllabus
M.A. English Language and Literature – With effect from 2020 admission
Career Options after M.A. English
Completing an M.A. in English opens up a wide avenue of career options, as the English language and its genuine and translated literature are essential components of various industries. A degree in this field can lead to careers in academia, publishing, media, advertising, public relations, and many more. The following are some of the very standard career options available after completing an M.A. in English:
1. Academia: A postgraduate degree in English is a stepping stone toward a career in academia. Postgraduates can pursue a Ph.D. in English and become professors, lecturers, or researchers in universities and colleges. Academic careers can be both rewarding and challenging, offering opportunities to contribute to research, publish papers, and teach students.
2. Journalism: Journalism is another popular career option for postgraduates with an M.A. in English. One can work as a reporter, writer, editor, or correspondent in various media organizations. They can also work as freelance writers or start their own blogs or websites.
3. Publishing: With a solid background in English,one can work as an editor, proofreader, literary agent, or marketer in publishing houses. They can also work as freelance editors or start their own publishing ventures.
4. Advertising and Public Relations: Graduates with an M.A. in English can also work in advertising and public relations. They can work as copywriters, content creators, or public relations executives in advertising agencies, marketing firms, or corporate communications departments.
5. Content Writing: With the invading growth of digital media, there is an insane demand for content writers in various industries. Postgraduates with an M.A. in English can work as content writers or editors for websites, social media platforms, or e-commerce sites. They can also work as freelance writers or start their own content-writing businesses.
6. Translation: Graduates with an M.A. in English can work as translators or interpreters in international corporations, NGOs, or government agencies. They can also work as freelance translators or start their own translation agency.
7. Creative Writing: An MA in English also unbolts the gateway to thepanorama in creative writing. One can pursue a career as a novelist, poet, playwright, or screenwriter. They can also work as freelance writers or ghostwriters or start their own creative writing businesses.
These are only a few of the surface referencesto the avenues an M.A. in English programme offers as career options. The skills and knowledge one acquires from the programme can be applied to various industries. With the growth of the digital media industry and the global demand for English language skills, the career prospects for postgraduates with an M.A. in English are promising.